Friday, August 12, 2016

More Retail Therapy

I have really been laid low by this illness (UC). It is starting to get me down. So I decided to engage in a little retail therapy. I found a book I have been wanting on Amazon - Christopher Shores and Giovanni Massimello's A History of the Mediterranean Air War 1940-1945 Volume II. This covers 1942 to March of 1943. It is a great, big, thick tome. I look forward to giving it a read.

Next up, I decided to revisit a dormant project - Dux B for the Romans. I looked at the figures that I have. I now have suitable Centurions that I am happy with. I have more than enough command for 3 Centuries at a 1:1 scale. I have enough auxillia for one century that is garrison bound and not full strength. What I was lacking was the junior leaders - the Optios. I have one Optio. It is a great figure from Corvus Belli. It looks fantastic. But, when I went to order more, I can't find any. Oops. Only one of these fellows came in a pack of command figures. I have so many other command figures that I hesitated ordering more packs just for one figure out of it. I thought I was stuck. Then eBay came to the rescue. There was a guy selling 5 15mm Early Roman Command figures from an unknown manufacturer. They looked vaguely like optios from the fuzzy pictures. So I clicked buy. They were cheap enough.

I just got them today. They are perfect. They have the same feathers on the helmet that the CB figure has. But they have some kind of mane running down the middle. That should not be too hard to remove with a little time with a file. Three figures are waving a sword while two are standing there holding a banner. I figure I will cut off the banner and they will be holding a pilum.

All in all, two great purchases. Now to find the energy to read or paint.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read about you being laid low through illness, the human body, for all it's marvel, can be a real pain sometimes.

    Reading about the WW2 air war wargaming from various bloggers over the last couple of years has really got me interested. I really like the idea of naming a unit and following it through missions and watching the individual pilots grow in experience and the unit collect laurels. I did begin to look at collecting for 1940 Battle of Britain a few years back, but nothing came of it, but now I've started with Star Wars X-Wing I'm hoping to give it another go, although as part of my gaming "In A Galaxy Far, Far Away." Plus, I don't need to paint the X-Wing miniatures - a huge help.

    Get well soon.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you are feeling better. I know what a pain this is for you.

    And a new book can always help some. What scales are you using for your aircraft?

    ReplyDelete